Mashing with a Brutus 10 system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveming

Reaction score
I built a clone of a brutus 10. I have been mashing with recirculation and a burner to keep at mash temp and to raise temp to mash out. I have a sensor in a thermowell and a dial thermometer. I have had trouble controlling the temp. The temp seems to be low, I add heat and the next thing you know it's too high. I can use the offset on my Love temp switch to get better control and to turn the burner off. I put the dial thermometer on so I could watch it more closely. Once I dough in and reach mash temp, should I just recirculate and only add heat when I mash out? I built the unit to be able to repeat good results. I haven't brewed a great batch since I went this route. Any suggestions would be great.

You might want to throttle back the burner. You're likely throwing too many BTU's at once to the wort in the bottom of the MLT. Since you are (probably) not recirculating at full pump speed, the wort in the bottom of the MLT heats up and then turns off - leaving you with over temp wort in the bottom, but not necessarily in the top. You need a lower heat for a longer period to keep it even. After you heat your initial strike water, turn the burner down for the recirc and you'll find it cycles in/out less frequently and keeps the temp more closely matched to your setpoint.

Back