Mashing w/ Adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I was reading a recommended article about increasing body when I read a section about how flaked barley, oatmeal and rye increase head retention and body but can create a sticky mash. Is this something that could lead to a "stuck mash"? Also, if mashing with these above mentioned adjuncts, could you mix them in with the base malt and others to a degree where stick mashes would be less of an issue because they would not ne concentrated in one area in the mash tun? Obviously it would depend on the ammount of base malt and adjucts. I hope this is understandable.

Wheat and Rye do start causing sticky sparges if the percentage gets above 10-20%. If you are concerned about it just throw some rice hulls in there.

Carapils can also be used for head retention and body depending on the end characteristics you are aiming for.

Back