Mashing too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
I have read that a higher mash temp will result in more unfermentable sugars in my wort.

I realize there are a lot of variables that hinge on style, but I was going for a dry stout, may have overshot my mash temp (maybe not, I need a new thermometer) and am curious what my FG might be if I did overshoot these temps (going for 152, may have hit 160). SG was around 1.045

I'm not panicking here. But am I going to have to adjust my expectations from a Guiness dry to a mackesons? Either is good, but I'd like to know from the learned EACs.

Thanks

:ban: I'm gonna take a gravity reading soon. Anyone wanna bet what it will be? It's been in primary for 8 days - Nottingham

Bike N Brew said:
OK, I'll guess...if you really mashed at 160, you'll get 65% attenuation (this is a number I just pulled out of, er...the air). So 1.016.

Yeah, I guess I should have put a dollar value on the bet pre-guess. Thanks for the interest! I will be checking the gravity as soon as I buy some sanitizer...

:rockin:

Edit: you know, the AIR isn't even very clean these days

Pretty good guess Bike!

Looks like an FG of 1.012. And it may still drop a few points before I'm ready to bottle it! Ok, I'm pretty stoked to have come close to my target. if it makes it to 1.009 I'll be flying high. Tastes really good too, roasty, good mouthfeel...now it just needs to be carbed.

:rockin:

Back