Mashing Temperature - Herms fly sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I'm starting to get my system a bit more dialed in since I went from extract to all grain, but I had a question. My MT temperature probe sits in the center of my grains, letting me know what the core temperature is reading. I also place a probe at the top of the grainbed to let me know what temperature my wort is when it returns from the HLT to the MT.

Last time I brewed, my MT probe read 144, while my return probe read 147. What temperature is the most important? The core of my grains or the return temp of my wort? Thanks

I have the same issue. I would guess the grain temps the important one as we are trying to adjust the grains temps for the different enzyme reactions. Do the grain temps go up after some time or is there always that difference.

I have the same issue. I would guess the grain temps the important one as we are trying to adjust the grains temps for the different enzyme reactions. Do the grain temps go up after some time or is there always that difference.

It's normally that same 3 degree variance. That is on a 10 gallon batch, so the variance would probably be a bit lower on a 5 gallon batch. This is actually a question that interests me because I'll soon be converting my system to be electronically controlled. I'd like to know where the best place would be to place the probe that I will use to control my mash temp.

I do the same but only have a 1 degree difference between my MLT temp and my HERMS out probe, that I have placed in a tee on the HERMS out. My HERMS out probe is the one that I hook up to my PID to control the element in the HLT.

The only thing I can think to help would be to insulate your MLT (if it isn't already). I wrapped my SS MLT in reflectix from Home Depot and it helped a lot. In fact, I wrapped all 3 SS vessels in it. It helps my ramp up times.

It's going to be the average between the two, or somewhere in the middle, anyway. There are enzymes in wort, not just in the grain themselves, so any wort at a certain temp will act accordingly from an enzyme perspective.

It's going to be the average between the two, or somewhere in the middle, anyway. There are enzymes in wort, not just in the grain themselves, so any wort at a certain temp will act accordingly from an enzyme perspective.

Right. Most of the enzymes are in the wort. This is why a decoction mash leaves as much wort in the tun as possible; so as not to denature the enzymes.

I do the same but only have a 1 degree difference between my MLT temp and my HERMS out probe, that I have placed in a tee on the HERMS out. My HERMS out probe is the one that I hook up to my PID to control the element in the HLT.

The only thing I can think to help would be to insulate your MLT (if it isn't already). I wrapped my SS MLT in reflectix from Home Depot and it helped a lot. In fact, I wrapped all 3 SS vessels in it. It helps my ramp up times.

Ok, I'll give the wrap a try. I've seen a lot of people using it, but figured I'd be able to control things a bit better with the constant recirculation.

Back