Mashing Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltedwisdom

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for a while, initially BIAB now all grain, lovin it! I know of the many different mash techniques and processes but all I've done are single infusion mashes and batch sparging. Regardless of the style of beer, this is how I've been proceeding. Am I missing out on some quality/efficiency points here?

I have batch sparked for a while now, but just switched to fly sparge this weekend. Alse it took was a valve on my kettle. I bring water to temp on the stove, no need for a sculpture, my electric stove brought 60* water up to 180* in less than an hour (mash in and hour, so works) and I went from a consistent 75% eff (batch sparge) to 82%. A huge diff. For little change in my process and a 15$ valve

From Midwest Supplies website - http://www.midwestsupplies.com/batch-sparging-vs-fly-sparging.html

"In the past, brewers stayed away from batch sparging because the efficiency rate was lower compared to fly sparging. Today’s grains are modified specifically for brewing, and they do not appear to have the same issues as grains did years ago. If you find that your starting gravity is turning out a little lower then you expect, add a ½ pound to a pound of base malt to your recipe.
Most of the all grain brewers at Midwest will use the batch sparging method because it is so much quicker than fly sparging, and you don't lose any efficiency."

I go back and forth between batch sparging and fly (continuous) sparging. I get 75% efficiency with my system, no matter which way I sparge.

If you're seeing a significant difference, more than a % or two, then there probably is some other reason like the false bottom or other lautering mechanism.

I go back and forth between batch sparging and fly (continuous) sparging. I get 75% efficiency with my system, no matter which way I sparge.

If you're seeing a significant difference, more than a % or two, then there probably is some other reason like the false bottom or other lautering mechanism.

I have done 50+ batch sparge brews and never got above 75% eff
Today was my second fly sparge (first was yesterday) and I got 83% today, 82% yesterday. The ONLY change I made in my equipment was a valve in kettle and a hole in the lid in my tun (valve to drain sparge water, hole to fly sparge threw) so I find this hard to believe. Not arguing with you, but with my equipment, there is no dought that fly is better than batch. I just wish I would have invested the 15$ for a valve and 0$ to drill a hole 3 years ago

Back