Mashing/Sparging Equipment Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what I really need equipment wise to go to all grain brewing such as sparging/mashing equipment and other stuff I may not be thinking of. I know some of this stuff can be fabricated instead of bought so please let me know! I already have my primary/secondary fermenters as well as kegging system taken care of. Thanks all.

-Brewstrong

in its simplest form you need a Mash/Lauter Tun. MLT. a 5 or 10 gallon cooler makes a good MLT...there's a thread in the DIY equipment section to help you.

aside from that you'll need a kettle large enough to boil 7 gallons...so a 9gallon kettle OR larger.

And, since you'll be draining wort into that kettle and still need to have heated sparge water on hand, you need either a second cooler or a second kettle to hold that hot water until its used. It need not exceed 5 gallons.

Lastly a way to cool 5.5 gallons of boiling wort, as an ice bath won't cut it. $50 immersion chiller.

Back