Mashing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentEhrman

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a little confused here. I am learning about mashing and there are some things I'm not clear on. I understand that some grains can convert starches to sugars, and others can't. I also understand that you can use grains with higher diastic power to convert those that cannot convert themselves. So,..

Do all grains mashed contribute to fermentable sugars in the wort? (I have read that some do not, but some clarification would be greatly appreciated) I'm asking about grains like flaked wheat and oats, crystal, ect..

Can steeping grains add fermentable sugars ever?

What is the reason/negative effect of adding more than the recommended 1.25 quarts of water per # of grain? (I'm brewing the BIAB method)

What are the guidelines for temperatures? I know 150-155 seems to be the general rule, but is there any information out there as to the difference in mashing at say 150, and 158? Or is there even much difference?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer, or point me in the direction of an answer. I haven't found these answers elsewhere, but if these questions have been answered in previous threads I would be happy to read through them.

:mug:

1) Yep, all grains contribute sugars. Highly kilned malts tend to contribute a bit less, but still something. Flaked grains contribute starches that can be converted, but they typically can't convert themselves.

2) Some. Crystals will on their own. Base malts typically only will if there's enzymatic conversion. A steeped grain with conversion is a mashed grain. Likewise, if you're mashing, you wouldn't be steeping anything.

3) Up to 2 or 2.5 q/gal, no problems. Beyond that, you may have conversion problems.

4) Lower temps tend to give a more fermentable wort, higher temps tend to give a less fermentable wort. For single infusion mashes, 98% of beers will go in the 149-158 range.

Good luck! :mug:

with the exception of unmalted grains all will add sugars to the wort.

steeping grains definately add sugar. they don't need mashed because their sugars are already converted. they just need steeped to dissolve the sugar into the water.

I've used all sorts of different ratios with water to grain with little difference in effect. I typically stay between 1-2 quarts/lb

150-155 is a good middle ground for a beer. anything below that (140-150) will make a very dry beer which is sometimes desireable. anything above (155-160) will make a sweet full bodied beer.

Excellent, thanks for the replies. I came up with another noob question if you don't mind. Can tasting the mash for sweetness be a decent gauge for conversion until I get whatever it takes for the iodine test?

why are the issues with conversion with mashing in higher than 2 qts/pound?
Also is the 2 qts (or a little less) per pound only your "fermentable" malts, or does that include your specialty malts as well?

I believe you need to worry about a couple issues with too high a ratio - the biggest one being pH (too high). The second is something about diluting the enzymes so that it impacts conversion (to tell you the truth my eyes usually glaze over reading this chapter in How to Brew but it should be in there).

Edit - you mash all the grains together so it is the total grain bill that you count to get your ratio.

Excellent, thanks for the replies. I came up with another noob question if you don't mind. Can tasting the mash for sweetness be a decent gauge for conversion until I get whatever it takes for the iodine test?

Use your hydrometer, that will give you an idea of your efficiency. The reading will be lower than your OG after boil. Search "mash efficiency" there's a chart here some where. Cheers

There are a couple of indicators that you have conversion. First is that the water in the mash starts out rather cloudy from all the starches. When you have conversion the water gets clearer. The second is taste. When you first put malts in to mash they taste like unsweetened porridge but when converted you will taste sweetness. Neither of these will tell you if conversion is complete. The iodine test will.

Back