MASHING QUESTION!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundboundCo

Reaction score
Wanted to pick everyone’s brain on this one. I use a Claw Hammer 120v system. When brewing with an all in one system and using a grain basket, will I get my best results from using 1.25qt of water per pound of grain for the mash or would using full volume for the mash give me better results.

Most basket AOI systems leave a significant amount of the liquid under or outside of the basket. This volume has to be subtracted from the strike volume when determining if your mash is going to be too thick to stir. You'll need to determine how much "excess" strike water you need in order to have a manageable mash thickness. As @day_trippr says, leaving water for sparging will increase your mash (specifically lauter) efficiency.

Also, wort outside of the malt basket/pipe does not participate in the mash and needs to be mixed in before the final draining of the malt basket/pipe, or you will take a lauter efficiency hit. Recirculation mixes in the wort under the basket/pipe, but not wort between the basket/pipe and the vessel wall. Raising and lowering the pipe several times has been found effective to mix in the "neglected" wort.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back