Mashing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComcastWineRookie

Reaction score
I have a brewing question, I am planning on making a KBS clone, here is my recipe:

KBS CLONE

5 US Gallons

13.25 lbs pale malt
1.5 lbs flaked oats
.75 lb roasted barley
.75 lb Belgian choc. malt
.50 lb Belgian debittered black malt
.5 lb 120L crystal malt

Hops

1.0 oz Nugget 13% aa (60 mins)
1.25 oz Willamette 5% aa (25 mins)
1.75 oz Willamette 5% aa (10 mins)

2.5 oz Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 mins)
1.5 oz unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 mins)
2.0 oz ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)
2.0 oz cold-brewed Kona coffee (secondary)

American or California Ale yeast

Boil Time 90 mins
IBU. 73
SRM 60
Specific gravity 1.092
Assumed Efficiency 75%

Infusion Mash at 155F for 60 mins. Add Hops, chocolate, and coffee as specified. Ferment for 2 weeks at 65F. Soak .25 oz French Oak chips in one cup Kentucky Bourbon for 2 days. Soak ground kona coffee in 1 cup boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered in refrigeratro. Strain out grounds and add cold coffee and bourbon, with wood chips to secondary. Rack fermented stout into this mixture and condition in secondary at 55-60F for 2-6 mos.

Can I split up the grain bill, mash 2 times and combine to get the neccessary wort or does it all have to be done at once? Thanks

It's a best practice to do it at the same time. But, it isn't a deal breaker. When I used to mash in my 10 gallon cooler, there were several brews that I made that simply would not fit in the mash tun. So, I split them in half and did two mash/sparge cycles. Might not be ideal, and makes for a long brew day....but you gotta do what you gotta do. :mug:

Just a suggestion: don't brew with Kona. It's so expensive and the nuances will be lost in the brew. I would stick with Sumatra for the beer. Do what you will, but if you have the Kona already, drink it asap, or while you brew!:)

Back