Mashing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr6188

Reaction score
So im pretty new to all grain brewing. When you add the water to the mash tun with the grains. Do you just add enough to get all the grains mixed up... For example: grains and water only fill up the mash tun half way, how much water do you add to mash in for the 60 mins. Fill it all the way up, a couple inches above..etc.. Thanks.

Typically you will add the grains to the water. I heat water to 30 degrees higher than what I need and put it in the mash tun to heat it up and get the insulation warm. Ok, so back to your question. Typically I add about 1.25 - 1.5 quarts to a pound of grain. So if I have 10 pounds of grain I would need about 12.5 - 15 quarts of water or roughly 3.25 - 3.75 gallons of water. When you sparge the grains you also use a formula to arrive at how much water you need as well. Although, you could just run until you collect your wort but in lower gravity beers you never want to take any runnings lower than a 1.010 or you will start to extract tannins and other harsh flavors.

Start at about 1-1.5 quarts per lbs... There are different schools of thought here... Some will say thin or thicker is better.... In my experience thinner, more water, is easier to stir and temperature becomes more constant...

Its best to use 1-1.5 quarts/lb because you will probably have to add some hot water to bring your mash temp up if you are using a cooler. Make sure you start heating about 2 liters at the beginning off your mash and get it to a boil before u add it. Stir your mash about every 15 mins and check the temp often. When it gets to 146-148 throw the boiling water in and this should bring u up about 6-8 degrees. Just make sure to stir well as u add the boiling water. Also dont forget your first runnings should be about 20-30 specific gravity points higher than your target og and dont be afraid to mash for 90 mins if your not hitting your target at 60

Latest posts

Back