Mashing in the oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
I'm going to apologize in advance - I did no research on this before posting.

I just got a new pot - 8 gallon with a valve and thermometer. My question is this: I really like mashing in the oven to hold temperature. Can I still do that if the pot has a thermometer? Its only like 155-160 in the oven when I mash.

In the words of Herman Cain, "I don't have facts to back this up," but I say do it, it'll be fine. If it can handle the same temps on the stove why should it make any difference if it's in an oven. Do you have a large oven or is your pot just ideally proportioned (short and squat)? I can only get a five gallon pot in mine which limits me to about 12 pounds of grain.

Thanks for the feedback. To tell the truth, I don't know if it is going to fit or not. It is only slightly taller than my 5gal pot, though. So I hope it makes it.

I was thinking the same as you. Yes, 150-170 is hotter than ambient, but I have to assume if it is good to go on a turkey fryer it can handle some hotter-than-ambient temps. Also, there is going to be some conduction of heat from boiling water inside the pot, so the dial is going to get pretty hot anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback.

P.S. I did a bunch of searching after posting and didn't find anything, so I feel marginally better about asking a question without doing any research. :)

I think your taking a chance of wrecking the thermometer, the probe can handle heat well but Im not so sure about the dial, face, and glass.

My pot came with a warning about not letting to much heat roll up the pot, to the thermometer.

cheers :mug:

Damn. Now I'm worried. Didn't see any warnings, but I'd rather not destroy a brand new thermometer...

Thanks for the advice. Anybody do this?

As an update, I talked to one of the guys at my LHBS (Adventures in Homebrewing - I'm in no way affiliated, but I have to say those guys at great). He said he knows multiple people who mash in pots that have thermometers. Apparently they see no issues.

Next step is seeing if my pot actually fits in my oven. I know it will be close, but I think I can do it. Fingers crossed. Thanks everybody.

Back