Mashing HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poto101

Reaction score
So i screwed up on my first partial mash... instead of adding 1 quart per 2lbs of grain as the sparge water like the instructions in the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply say, i did this for the strike water, added my IPA grains, and now it looks like oatmeal and is at 120 degrees heating up. What should i do?

my grains are in ~4.5 quarts of water and are:
2.5 lb 2-row
4oz Special B Malt
1lb Crystal 60L malt

There is

I see two options:

A. Dump the grains and don't waste the hops or malt and time.

B. Add more water to the mash, heat it up and try to get it at 150-155 for 45 minutes, hoping it all works out.

Please help, I gotta decide soon!

UPDATE: I'm mashing in the 140-145 range, i cannot get it much higher since the volume of grains is so high compared the the water volume.

heat up more water asap and add it to the mash.

don't dump anything. You have not made any critical errors.

Transfer it all to your brewpot, and go from there.

I'm not clear on exactly what you have done?

Too much water for the strike, and not enough for the sparge? Is that correct?

If so, just sparge with what you have left, it will be fine. You might end up with a more fermentable wort because of the higher water to grain ratio, but if you hit your temps you should be okay.

If it is the other way around hat up more water and add as much as you can to make up the difference.

heat up more water asap and add it to the mash.

don't dump anything. You have not made any critical errors.

Okay this helps. I think I jumped the gun and started the whole mashing thing without fully understanding the process and science behind it. I wasnt sure if the temperature being too low was an issue or the whole mashing for 60+ minutes would be an issue.

I did something similar, dumped grain and missed grain bag over my pot, the beer turned out great. If you have a grain bag or a strainer I would continue the mash and strain. Unless I'm missing something you should be fine.

I did something similar, dumped grain and missed grain bag over my pot, the beer turned out great. If you have a grain bag or a strainer I would continue the mash and strain. Unless I'm missing something you should be fine.

Good to hear. I'm just concerned about my grains being at like 140 for 30 minutes before finally being brought up to 150. Should i go another 30 minutes, or longer?

It's probably not a bad thing as the lower temp water may have done you good. The low temp infusion can help soften the cell walls. Some people do this on purpose (kind of) but I would go for another 30 minutes if you have the time.

It's probably not a bad thing as the lower temp water may have done you good. The low temp infusion can help soften the cell walls. Some people do this on purpose (kind of) but I would go for another 30 minutes if you have the time.

Well it could be a late night but I guess I can do it. Thanks.

True, but you'll have the time to enjoy another beer or three... :D
You don't HAVE to go longer, but it couldn't hurt. If you mash out now, you'll probably be fine but you may not get the efficiency you may or may not have calculated for.

Back