Mashing and Steeping Simultaneously - Quick Reply Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I searched and couldn't find an answer for this question, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm doing a partial mash brew and I plan on mashing 1 lb of Munich and .50 lb of Melanoiden while simultaneously steeping .50 lb Carapils and .50 lb Crystal 60 all in the same pot.

My question is how much water should I use? I know to use 1.25 qts/per lb for the mash and less than 1 gallon per lb on the steeping grains, but does this change when you're mashing and steeping all at the same time? Any quick replies would be greatly appreciated as I plan to brew in a few hours. Thanks!

If youre mashing and steeping at the same time in the same pot, then youre mashing everything. Just add the weights of all your grains and use around 1.25 qt/lb water as usual.

Basically you are going to be "mashing" your specialty grains not "steeping." Use the mash water ratio. It won't hurt anything to thin it out a bit either, but 1.25 qts/lb is fine.

Back