Mashed at 170F :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Alrighty, so the other night I brewed my second batch of my Mo'fug Smash series. The idea is to use 10lbs MO and 3oz Fuggles in five different beers changing hop schedule, mash temps, etc - changing the process instead of ingredients.

Well, on my first batch I accidentally mashed very high, at 165F and it turned out to be one of my best beers yet. For batch number two, I decided to roast 1lb of the MO and follow the rest of the process as close to batch one as possible. I goofed! I ended up mashing at 170F, but decided to RDWHAHB and ride it out.

I'm a couple days deep and my yeast isn't making many bubbles out of the blow off tube (I know, I know - hydrometer is your God.) Did my obscenely high mashing temp leave me tons of unfermentable sugars?? I ended up with 5.5 gallons of 1.050 OG beer with WL007 as the yeast. Any ideas as to what I can expect from this beer??

Cheers!

I think you're right. You can expect a ton of unfermentables and a very high FG if you're yeast actually takes off.

I think it's probably too dextrin rich for ole sacc. I'd throw some brett in there and see if it wants to chomp some dextrins.

I think it's probably too dextrin rich for ole sacc. I'd throw some brett in there and see if it wants to chomp some dextrins.

One of my buddies had a mash at 175 because his thermometer was off and he ended up in the same situation and did exactly what you suggested. It worked like a charm, and he ended at like 1.018 - not ideal, but drinkable. Brett time!

I know that you're not meaning to, but how are you mashing so high? is your thermometer off or something?

trying adding small amounts of AE (not beano though) to secondary untill fg is around where you want it

I think I'm just going to dump it and move on. I'd rather not wait multiple months for such a simple recipe. I think I've learned from my mistakes.

I'd be way interested in how your SMASH series goes. Are you tracking that in another thread somewhere?

I mashed at 168, not realizing my thermometer was off. Took awhile, but FG got down to 1.018. Ride it out ... you may like the results.

if you are threating dumping just go grab some beano one to two pills is all you will need to bring it down a bit

While I do like the idea that patience a virtue, I'm very impatient by nature. I'd rather start anew and not goof up giving me a higher chance of making better beer.

If anyone wants to send me an empty carboy and shipping cost, you can salvage the beer for yourself. Otherwise I'll save a few bottles for cooking and feed the rest to my lawn. :D

I'd be way interested in how your SMASH series goes. Are you tracking that in another thread somewhere?

Yar! You actually reminded me that I had a thread going, I all but forgot about it.

i brewed a partial mash stout that had issues similar to this. I started out my mash at 152 but my temp fell to 140 so i turned on the burner and ended up bringing the temp up to 175! pitched notty twice and only got it down to 1.030. It was one sweet beer. i hated it but my wife loved it.

ride it out and see what happens.

You never answered, how did you end up mashing so high for so long? Wouldn't you have noticed the problem and corrected it?

You never answered, how did you end up mashing so high for so long? Wouldn't you have noticed the problem and corrected it?

I was going for an already hot mash temp of 165F, which worked wonderfully for my first batch, and upon mash-in, I hit it perfectly. I guess I didn't stir my mash up enough or take temp reading in enough spots, 'cause when I mashed out an hour later I was at 170F.

Back