Quantcast

Mash vs Wort

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JWWard03

Reaction score
I've been looking at recipes for distilled spirits and see that the mash used seems to be very similar to beer wort. Can someone explain the difference? It seems like you could bottle the filtered mash after fermentation and get something fairly tasty out of it.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily (I'd venture to say the usual answer would be no, but I know very little about spirits production). Considerations for a decent beer post fermentation and for what will carry through after distillation are different.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I've been looking at recipes for distilled spirits and see that the mash used seems to be very similar to beer wort. Can someone explain the difference? It seems like you could bottle the filtered mash after fermentation and get something fairly tasty out of it.
I've noticed the same. I'd guess that if you distilled a simple (mainly barley 'base malt') beer wort you would get something akin to a malt whiskey. For sure don't add hops.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mashing for distallation wouldn't have other things that give beer flavor like caramel malts or roasted malts so it might not be really good but...it might be better than nothing. Without the hops for bitterness it won't taste much like beer but it will give you a buzz.

People do like SMASH beers so just the malted barley might be OK.