Mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So... You steep grains at X temp foX time. Then put in mash tun for X amount of time?

Not quite sure I understand your question. :confused:
A mash tun is a container you use for mashing, and mashing is just a fancy word for steeping when you have some base grains.
As I understand it, you steep/mash the grains in the mash tun for x amount of time (where x is typically 60 minutes), and don't steep in some other container first.

-a.

Ok. Sorry bear with me. What the hell is a mash tun for? I was going to wait and read about it. But can't wait that long. Figured I'd ask. Steep me grains for 60 minutes? Thats it? Why in a mash tun? Do you then boil?

Steeping grains is terminology typically used to describe steeping specialty grains for brewing extract batches. You steep your specialty grains in your brewing kettle then add your extract for the boil.

A mush tun is used for all grain brewing and it is used to convert the starches in the grains (base malts and specialty) to sugar (mashing) so that you have wort to boil, hop and ferment. A portion of the water needed for the batch is heated to the proper temperature and the grains are dumped in to convert the starches. You should read the basic guides on extract and all grain batches then you'll be up to speed.

So to say the least my AG brewing 1 gal BIAB, I may not be getting the points and effixenciy I want without one? Or change my technique a bit? I've only ever done one partial mash. Deemed it to easy. (i did. Such arrogance!) Maybe I should have kept doing partials or all extracts before jumping to AG. Oh well. Enjoing the challenge. come on baby.

Basically a Mash tun is a usually insulated vessel that will maintain temperature for the duration of the mash. The mash is where you let the grains sit in appropriately temperatured water (150-160 degree F) which allows the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars which is what will be eaten by the yeast. You can make beer, even all grain, without a mash tun, but will have to pay attention to temperatures and worry about straining the grain remains out when done.

Back