mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothest68

Reaction score
So I need to build a new mash tun. My current one was built out of an ancient square cooler that is now falling apart. So what makes a better mash tun square cooler or a round drinking cooler

not sure one is better than the other, but IIRC, the tall deep round ones are better for fly sparging. also, you can use round false bottoms like the ones used in kettles.

disadvantage of round ones is, AFAIK, the biggest ones are 10 gallon, while rectangular ones can get at least as big as 37 gallons.

You also want to consider the dead space.
I wish I could remember what brand it was, but it had a deep groove for the drain that would hold a braid perfectly. It was almost like they made it for mashing!

Im pretty happy with 5 gal batches so round or square would be plenty for me. I couldnt find any other post for round vs square. I do have have plans to start fly spargeing in the future. A false bottom would be nice but I can build a copper manifold for free

Back