Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be fine if you are batch-sparging. For fly-sparging, Palmer recommends that the distance of the pipes from the cooler walls be at least half the distance between the manifold tubes.

I've had better success with cutting slits in to the manifold than drilling holes. For me the slits provide less stuck runoffs and better clarification during vorlauf.

I wanted to cut slits because everything I've been reading says it is better for runoffs and such but I don't have the tool to do it! And I don't really wanna go drop 80 bucks on one. Maybe I'll ask around the friends and family and see if I can get it...

I wanted to cut slits because everything I've been reading says it is better for runoffs and such but I don't have the tool to do it! And I don't really wanna go drop 80 bucks on one. Maybe I'll ask around the friends and family and see if I can get it...
Admittedly, I've never made a manifold, but I would think that a hacksaw would make decent slits, and I don't think a hacksaw would cost $80.00

-a.

Admittedly, I've never made a manifold, but I would think that a hacksaw would make decent slits, and I don't think a hacksaw would cost $80.00

-a.

Admittedly.... I'm really lazy lol! But it might come to that if I really want the slits over the drilled holes.

Looks good. Don't solder the joints. If you just press the pieces into place you can take the manifold apart. Also point the slots or holes down. You will have less of a loss in your mash tun.

Back