Mash Tun Valve during recirculation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith81

Reaction score
I was wondering if the mash tun valve position (wide open, partially closed) makes a difference while recirculating? I know that flow rate should be controlled at the pump output but wasn't sure if there should be restriction at the valve when it comes to trying to avoid a stuck mash.

I've done plenty of single infusion mashes without recirculation but will be doing my first recirculation soon (RIMS system). I have a BrewBuilt kettle with false bottom as my mash tun and Wilser bag for easy grain removal. My pump is a Blichmann Riptide. I'll also be using rice hulls in every batch.

I have the mashtun wide open and a valve on the output side of the pump. I dont think you ever want to restrict the input side of the pump.

It may take a bit of trial and error to find the right flowrate that works for your system. I have found I can go a bit faster with a bag than I can without. I you go too fast though you might be pulling the wort around the grain instead of through it with a bag.

What ba-brewer said, never restrict the input side of your pump, just the out flow. 100% open at the MT, and restrict the side feeding back (valve on pump) into the MT.

Thanks everyone. I knew restriction before the pump isn't a wise decision but wasn't sure if it would create enough suction to compact the grain bed as soon as the pump was turned on.

where on the mash tun is the valve in question? Makes a difference, and need to know what you are referring too.

If it the wort output from the kettle to the pump, then it should be wide open.
If you have a valve at the wort input from the pump into the kettle, then it should be wide open as well.

there should be a valve on the pump output, this is where you control flow rate, IMO.

I run full volume no sparge mashes in a Coleman cooler lined with a Brew Bag for a MLT, recirculate continuously with a chugger pump with a ball valve on the output side, and do steps with a Brewhardware RIMS controlled by an Inkbird. The RIMS output hose returning to the mash is positioned below the level of the mash liquid to reduce/eliminate O2 pickup. I run the pump outlet ball valve ~1/2 open and never had a problem with stuck mash or scorching on the RIMS element.

It’s a balancing act: slow enough not to create a stuck mash but fast enough not to scorch the RIMS element or wort. The response to temp steps is enhanced by faster flow IMO.

Last edited:
I think the valve on the pump output will control the suction on the mashtun side, don't know for sure but it has not been an issue for me.

Just for safety sake you should not have a valve on the output side of your RIMS.

Not sure what kind of controller you have, but if your pump and RIMS element are not interlinked some how make sure to turn off the element before the pump.

Yes, I meant the drain valve at the bottom of the mash tun. I have no valves downstream of the pump.

If you're using a Riptide, it already has its own "down-stream" valve.
And that is what you should use to control flow rate - everything else (up or down-stream) should be wide open...

Cheers!

If you're using a Riptide, it already has its own "down-stream" valve.
And that is what you should use to control flow rate - everything else (up or down-stream) should be wide open...

Cheers!

+ 1

Back