mash tun Temperature Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Hi
Just wonderd how many of you put a Temperature Gauge on your mashtun
and what type you use. I was thinking putting one in the side of my tun so its in the mash. Is this right???
Thanks Daza

I use a digital meat thermometer with a probe. If you use this kind make sure you only submerge the probe and not the cable into the mash, or it will give you the wrong readings. In this respect, fixing it to the side of the mash tun is fine. Also make sure you stir it well and the mash is thick so that the temperature is the same throughout the mash. With a thin mash you get 'hotspots', I find.

I use a 3" dial thermometer in my tun. It's mounted fairly low, maybe 3" from the bottom of the tun and lines up with the bazooka filter.

For now I am using a 9 inch long dial thermometer that I stick in the top of my 5 gal rubbermaid. It is the thermo that came with my turkey fryer setup, so the resolution isn't the best, but it provides good monitoring. I just drilled a tight fitting hole through the lid of the cooler. I use a 5" digital meat thermometer for real accurate readings with the lid off, and plan to upgrade the main thermo to this one at some point soon, for better resolution and depth in my mash:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18682

Back