Mash tun temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woods2014

Reaction score
If I was to double a recipe would my mash water need to be higher? They call for 3.98 gallons of water at 159f this is for a 5 gallon brew NLRB 10 gallons. So would the temp be the same for 10 gallons? Also would almost 8 gallons of water and 30lbs and 20oz of grain fit into an 10 gallon mash tun with the 8 gallons of water?

I use this website to figure out my strike temp and I have enough space in my MLT. I guess it depends on how many qts/lb you use whether your stuff will fit. Bear in mind, those 10-gallon gatorade coolers will actually hold a bit more than 10 gallons.

I have a 62qt coleman and that tops out at 32lbs. Look in How to brew for infusion formulas doing them by hand will allow you to eventually taste a recipe in your head.
You mash in with quarts per pound of grain, so the temp stays the same but the volume of water increases.

Back