Mash Tun - Stainless Steel Braid vs Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopenstein

Reaction score
Sorry if this should have been posted in the DIY forum, but I wasn't quite sure where to put it......

I am gathering all of the equipment I need to start all grain brewing on my next brew. I bought a cooler and watched a few videos on youtube on how to convert it into a mash tun.

What are the pro's and con's of a mash tun using a stainless steel braid as a filter compared to a mash tun with a pvc of copper manifold system for a filter. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks for the help!

I think the first "pro" of using a braided line is it's a helluva lot easier to build. The braided line makes for less "dead" space. Building a manifold is probably way more expensive.

I prefer the manifold despite the previous advantages. Mine is plastic and just as cheap or cheaper than a braid. It won't collapse and for some reason that was my concern.

Back