Mash tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopagloo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched around and am still undecided. From y'alls experience, what would be the best size cooler mash tun for 5 gallon batches? It seems to me a 5 gal cooler is pushing it on the low side, but would 10 be overkill? I plan on fly sparging with a pump.

a 10 gallon round Gatorade style is your best bet. 10 gallon give you plenty of flexibility for high gravity beers. The round style insures you still get decent bed depth for the lower gravity batches.

If you were batch sparging then a 10 gallon rectangle would be cheaper and work just as well.

+1. See the chart at the below link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

A 10 gallon mash tun would allow you to do higher gravity brews and expand your brewing operations in the future when (not if :D) you decide to go bigger.

The only downside to the 10 Gallon is if you ONLY plan on doing 5 gallon, low gravity beers, than the extra headspace will increase your heat loss a little, and just make your equipment take up more room. I don't know many people that would have that issue, but it's the only counter-argument to getting a 10 gallon cooler.

That link above is pure gold.

I use a 10 gal rubbermaid round cooler and even only having it half full, i usually only loose a degree an hour and if you want to do a big beer, you have the room to experiment. Always buy bigger than you think you need in case you change your mind later

I have a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon cooler, both converted with a ss braided line and a ball valve. I'd like to get rid of the 5 gallon and get a 10 gallon instead. Go bigger than you think you'll need; eventually you'll need the extra space. My 5 gallon can hold about 12# total grain (plus water), whereas my 10 can easily do a 25# mash and have room to spare.

yeah for real dude. go to home depot (if there's one near you). the 10gal gatorade style are usually under 30 bucks. got mine for 29$. fantastic for holding temp.

Mine is a 7 gallon. It was a gatorade cooler I got where I work. The spigot was broken, so they let me take it. So far, it has worked great. Not sure if they usually sell a 7 gallon, but that would seem to be the best of both worlds.

do both. use the 5 gallon for your session beers and your 10 for your big beers. I think the 5 should be fine with 12# or lower grain bill.

Back