Mash tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I have a 36qt cooler that I've been mashing in for 2 years, and I only do 5 gallon batches. I'm going to be brewing over the weekend with a bunch of friends and one of the brews will be a ten gallon batch. The guy putting on the brewday has a 48qt. mash tun. Does anyone out there have experience using 22lbs of grain in a 48qt cooler? It seems to me like it could work if we go with 1.25qts/lb. Ideas?

I have had up to 24 lbs of grain in my home depot 10 gallon cooler. You will be fine.

It will be tight but possible. I use a "56 qt" Coleman cooler, and let me tell you, I don't think in reality this thing is bigger then maybe 11-12 gal. I don't know how they calculate the size of those things but they grossly over-estimate it.

You will be just fine.........thats all we do are 10 gallon batches, most of our beers having 24lbs of grain...........check out this pic of our big xmas beer, weighing in at 28lbs.........all our mashes are 1.25qt/lb and we have no problems at all. We run on average, 83% efficiency. Good luck!!

img00163201012072059.jpg

Awesome. We're going to go for it. The reason we're doing a 10 gallon batch is because my friend just got a 14 gallon conical fermenter!

Back