Mash tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I am looking at moving into the world of AG brewing and was wondering if a 5 gallon Igloo drink container was big enough for a guy brewing 5 gallon batches of beer. I wasn't sure if the grain bed would be too thick using this container but I already have 2 of them and was thinking of converting one to a mash tun.

OP
beerguy2009

beerguy2009

Reaction score
How about brew pot size. What is the recomended minimum size for that. I was looking at getting a turkey fryer which is 7.5 gallon. Is that too small?

iijakii

Reaction score
You could do a 5gal AG batch in a 7.5 with some tinkering, but to spend money on that size would be pointless. Go 10gal boilpot minimum.

PHBalanced

Reaction score
I do 5 gal AG with a 7.5 gallon pot with no issue. Actually have done it in a 7 gal pot too. of course Fermcap-S makes this A LOT easier...

itsbeeryo

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought the 10 gallon cooler & a 15 gallon pot when I was in your shoes. You won't regret the larger sizes even for the extra $$.

samc

Reaction score
7.5 gallon pot is limiting if you want to easily do higher OG beers. Agree with poster above, buy big.

cockybitz

Reaction score
I feel no desire to upgrade my MLT from the 5 gallon. Since you already have one, I suggest you save the costs and use one. Any materials you buy can be used when you upgrade to a 10, if you so feel the need, in the future.

cclloyd

Reaction score
I use a 10 gallon pot for 6 gallon batches (7.5 gal start volume) and it works great.
I made my MLT from a 5 gallon round cooler when I was doing partial mash / partial boil, and now that I'm doing full boil AG I am still using the 5 gallon cooler and it works well.... for up to about 11 or 12 lbs of grain. I can't do anything with a larger grainbill than that and will be moving up to the 10 gallon soon. If you can swing it get the bigger one.

OP
beerguy2009

beerguy2009

Reaction score
Sounds like alot of good advise. I may just look for the end of the season sales and try to get a 10 gallon cooler. Here in the midwest, it's hard to find a cooler in the stores after September so if I am going to do this, now is the time. If I can't find a deal, maybe I'll just upgrade to partial mash brewing and partial boil since it won't take much to do that from the extract equipment I have now. Not having tried any, I assume parial mash and AG brews have better flavor than extract. So far my extract brews have been good but I am thinking about getting a bit more into brewing and want more control in the flavor.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I have a rectangle 48 quart (12 gallon) and a 32 quart (8 gallon) pot that I use but for the hot break, first hop addition and first half of the boil I have to watch it like a hawk. I haven't tried ferm caps so I can't comment on them in a smaller pot.

OP
beerguy2009

beerguy2009

Reaction score
Looking at what I have for equipment. I could brew smaller batches (2.5 to 3.5 gallons) with what I have. If I did, is there a problem with using a 6.5 gallon to ferment 2.5 gallons. I figured this would give me a chance to do some AG brewing without spending a bunch of money to get started. Also I recall using the full dry yeast packets for smaller amounts of brew is ok to do. I just want to give AG brew a try but don't have the funds to upgrade much equipment.

stevo155

Reaction score
I just got a 10 gallon kettle ( used to have the 7.5 gallon ) and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't get this in the first place. I also have the Coleman Xtreme 70 qt cooler mash tun setup.

iijakii

Reaction score
Looking at what I have for equipment. I could brew smaller batches (2.5 to 3.5 gallons) with what I have. If I did, is there a problem with using a 6.5 gallon to ferment 2.5 gallons. I figured this would give me a chance to do some AG brewing without spending a bunch of money to get started. Also I recall using the full dry yeast packets for smaller amounts of brew is ok to do. I just want to give AG brew a try but don't have the funds to upgrade much equipment.
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=153

That, plus there's also a 'stovetop AG' thread on these forums. Those mini-brew in a bag techniques are tops until you can afford to jump up to bigger gear.

As for the fermenter: You'll find some mixed statements about oxidation but it's mostly, if not all, hogwash. You can primary in a 6gal without any issues.

djcrawfo

Reaction score
For the pot, go big. Or as big as your burner allows. I wish I was using a keg with the top removed for a cheap stainless pot. Unfortunately I do not think that my stove will allow it.

I often go into my boil with 8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

iijakii

Reaction score
For the pot, go big. Or as big as your burner allows. I wish I was using a keg with the top removed for a cheap stainless pot. Unfortunately I do not think that my stove will allow it.

I often go into my boil with 8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.
Man, I wish my stove would boil 8gal!
Consider yourself lucky.

johndeere

Reaction score
7.5 gallon kettle is enough but 10 would be ideal. I've been doing fine with my 7.5 gallon kettle, but I can't hardly take my eye off it till about 20 minutes into the boil. It would be nice to get a boil going and be able to do other things. Especially for the hot break. It slipped my mind once and before I knew it there was foam and precious wort hitting the floor.