Mash tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I have a 72 qt Igloo cooler laying around. Is that too big to make a mash tun out of?
I'm planning on making a PVC manifold (the hot water safe HMC or whatever the letter designation for it is) with a stainless ball valve. Any suggestions?

You might have a issue keeping a stable temp for smaller batches but you could fit a piece of foam or something to take u air spce, but for 10 gals or more you will be perfect I think.

My buddy has a 60qt, and he loses about 6 degrees throughout a 60 minute mash for a 5 gallon batch. Too much deadspace or possibly just an inefficient seal. I think it's the dead space though.

My buddy has a 60qt, and he loses about 6 degrees throughout a 60 minute mash for a 5 gallon batch. Too much deadspace or possibly just an inefficient seal. I think it's the dead space though.

Is 6 degrees that big of a deal? What are the consequences of that kind of fluctuation?
Never done AG before.

6 degrees is a lot...what happens in theory is the lower the mash temp your wort will change and become more fermentable, which will lead to a thinner dryer beer. For 15 to 20 bucks you could likely find a 28 to 48 qt igloo that would be more size appropriate for 5 gal batches. You could also add a few pints of boiling water during the mash to account for temp losses w/ the big cooler...but that could get ugly for a first timer.

72 qt is a big a__ cooler for a standard 5 gallon batch...sure it could be done w/ some effort and experience, but not an ideal start IMHO.

6 degrees is a lot...what happens in theory is the lower the mash temp your wort will change and become more fermentable, which will lead to a thinner dryer beer. For 15 to 20 bucks you could likely find a 28 to 48 qt igloo that would be more size appropriate for 5 gal batches. You could also add a few pints of boiling water during the mash to account for temp losses w/ the big cooler...but that could get ugly for a first timer.

72 qt is a big a__ cooler for a standard 5 gallon batch...sure it could be done w/ some effort and experience, but not an ideal start IMHO.

So, a 48 qt would be optimal?
I will mostly do 5 gal batches with the occasional 10 gal.
Can I do a 10 gal mash in a 48 qt?

Is the PVC manifold a good idea?

Why is the steel braid better than the PVC?

It is not "better"...just that many users, myself included, feel that it is easier and cheaper to build and works very well. A braid might clear faster as it is a finer straining media....but of course YMMV as there fans of both methods.

Had the same issue on my Tun. Went to Agent Orange and got a roll of weather stripping (the kind with 2 ridges so you can cut it in half) and 4 latches like you would find on an antique trunk. Ran the weather stripping around the lid, took off the hinges and added the 4 latches (2 on each side). Drilled holes in the lid and used Great Stuff to fill. Works great!! $15 fix. Held temp at 152 steady for a 75 min mash :rockin:

I use a 60 qt Ice Cube cooler for 5 gal batches with a CPVC manifold and it works great. 0.5-1 degF loss over 60 minutes. I just filled the lid with GreatStuff foam. 1 deg/hr is fine for me.

Back