Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhammer

Reaction score
I am wanting to try one gallon all-grain batches. My current kettle has a boil off rate of 1 gallon per hour. I will need two gallons of wort for my boil, so what capacity mash tun should I build? Would a three gallon mash tun produce two gallons of wort? Is there a way to calculate wort volume vs mash tun capacity? :confused:

Thanks,
BH

Building?
Use a large pot (2 gallons should do) and stick in a pre-warmed turned-off oven for the length of your mash time. You will sparge 1x or 2x with a quart or a bit more each, and that will get you the extra volume to boil off.

To lauter, use a large kitchen sieve or colander, lined with a grain bag or paint strainer bag.

Forgot to say: You can do bigger batches that way, like 2.5 gals. Single gallons sounds like a lot of work for very little product.

Building?
Use a large pot (2 gallons should do) and stick in a pre-warmed turned-off oven for the length of your mash time. You will sparge 1x or 2x with a quart or a bit more each, and that will get you the extra volume to boil off.

To lauter, use a large kitchen sieve or colander, lined with a grain bag or paint strainer bag.

Forgot to say: You can do bigger batches that way, like 2.5 gals. Single gallons sounds like a lot of work for very little product.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! :rockin:

I plan on checking out my crock pot's temp stability. Set it and forget it would be neat. Might use the ferm chamber's controller here.

Latest posts

Back