Mash Tun Not Big Enough ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my 2nd AG, a Kolsch, but I got a warning from BrewSmith when I printed out the recipe, that said, "Warning:Estimated mash size:5.52 gal greater that mash tun volume of 5 gal."
I'm using around 13 lbs. of grain in this recipe.
How do I overcome this obstacle ? Should I divide the mash into two parts ? Use less water for the mash ?

You'll have to reduce your mash ratio down to like 1.1qts/lb (3.5 gallons) and then you'll fit it all.

However, why would you need 13 pounds of grain for a Kolsch? Even at 70% efficiency, 10lbs puts the OG at 1.049 which is the top of the range for a Kolsch. Wait... is this a 10 gallon batch?

You'll have to reduce your mash ratio down to like 1.1qts/lb (3.5 gallons) and then you'll fit it all.

However, why would you need 13 pounds of grain for a Kolsch? Even at 70% efficiency, 10lbs puts the OG at 1.049 which is the top of the range for a Kolsch. Wait... is this a 10 gallon batch?

No, it's 5 gal. That's the way the numbers worked out when I converted my PM recipe. According to BeerSmith, it actually works out to 1.054 OG

Nah, something's way weird with your beersmith setup. What is your expected efficiency set to, 55%? You'll definitely be up in the 1.060's with 13lbs of grain.

yes it seems an oddly great amount of grain.
BTW - I have done 13lb in a 5 gal tun - just make the mash a little thicker.

I just finished the brew. I tweaked the recipe down just under 9 3/4 lbs., and wound up with an O.G. of 1.046. A little lower than my target of 1.048, but I don't think I did TOO bad for only my second A.G.

Booya... good deal. WOW yah 13 pounds of grain is A LOT for a lighter beer. Glad is worked out for ya, congrats on your 2nd AG!

13 pounds in Promash does get me what BobbyM stated... 1.065-1.070+ on the OG. My IAPA came in at 1.068... LIGHTS me up.

I just finished the brew. I tweaked the recipe down just under 9 3/4 lbs., and wound up with an O.G. of 1.046. A little lower than my target of 1.048, but I don't think I did TOO bad for only my second A.G.

yeah, ya done good. Two points is nothing to quibble about. Well done for your 2nd AG, it will only get better as you tweak your process here and there.
:mug:

Back