Mash Tun manifold - please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
TunManifold.jpg

TunManifoldUpsidedown.jpg

I couldn't connect the outlet to the center copper pipe because the hole in the 10 gall Rubbermaid is a little too low and that plastic tubing does not curve much without collapsing.

There was a quart left after draining - is that sufficient to please the Beer Gods?

Again, nothing soldered so I can change it if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers!

The build looks good to me but a quart leftover seems a little high. Did you have a hose hooked up to the ball valve nipple when you drained it? The siphoning action really should suck the cooler about dry. My 48qt rectangular cooler with a copper manifold only left 8 ounces behind...

I like the build, it looks good. I would look for some reinforced tubing instead of the vinyl tubing. I think the vinyl may collapse under the weight of wet grain, and high temp.

Ed

I like the build, it looks good. I would look for some reinforced tubing instead of the vinyl tubing. I think the vinyl may collapse under the weight of wet grain, and high temp.

Ed

I'd bet with that short amount of tubing it will be fine, however i'v been wrong before...

If it isn't soldered yet, there could have been some leaks that caused the leftover. Also, some of the cuts look like they are a little high up the side (see the top pipe in the first picture, though it's tough to tell looking at a picture). That could let the syphon stop a little early too.

If you fly sparge...then the qt that's left isn't worth worrying about. The specific gravity will have reached the point that you don't want that anyway.

Wow!
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Some good stuff I hadn't thought about or didn't know.
Let me try some modifications and I'll get back.
Brew day is tomorrow so I better get busy!
Cheers!

Back