Mash Tun for a RIMMS, how big is TOO Big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowRaven

Reaction score
(PREFACE : Had Sent this to Spike and was told to look at what BeerSmith software recommenced) SMH

SO here is where I am at, I Upgrading My Current setup / MegaPot 10Gallon Boil, MegaPot 10Gallon Mash, Generic 14.5Gallon HLT

I currently brew for Corney Kegs (5 Gallons finished)

(need to order one of the below SPIKE KETTLE to start)

I am debating the SPIKE 15G (site glass) vs the SPIKE 20G (Site Glass) for a Mash Laughter Tun for my RIMMS (using the Blichman Gas Controller / RTD + Recirculation)

with The Ultimate Sparge Arm / USA

Can adjust from the top of your kettle to 12-13 inches down into your kettle
A single, large diameter outlet port trickles onto a stainless disc, which distributes sparge water gently and evenly. This port is also much easier to flush out and keep clean than many other sparge assemblies with multiple small holes that grain gets stuck in during recirculation
Stainless tube measures 18.5" from the top to the bend, and 8.5" from the bottom to the center of the distribution disc.
Can be mounted on a lip that is up to 7/8" wide

this USA is really 9" and in the 20G it would match up much better to the center ( love this device - https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultimate-sparge-arm.html )

and in the end What I am really looking to have, in the last kettles I will need to buy to produce 6 or 12 gallons to fill 1 or 2 corneys (5 gallons)

So my Questions:

Can I still do a (10-12 lbs of Grain with 3.75-4.0 gallons of water) 6 Gallon 1.040 batch in either of these,
SPIKE 15G or 20G -in the site glass model. (60% of my brewing)

I do do batches with 22 lbs of grain at 6 gallons (1.099 range)

Key Question

(**** or do I need to order Special order Horizontal versions with site glasses? if I want to have this capability? Will a 15G or 20G Horizontal even work)

So

I am looking for the capability to do either/both 6 & 12 gallon
all grain batches
(mostly 1.040 to 1.060 / (6 or 12 gallons)
but will sometimes do a double - triple 1.100 (at 6 gallons)

So in the end I will I have a setup / Spike 20Gallon Boil, Spike 15Gallon Mash, Spike 15 Gallon HLT

Numbers I have been basing things off provided by Blichman Eng data

HLT / Mash / Boil

10 gal batch: 15 / 15 / 20
15-20 gal batch: 20 / 20 / 30

or

10 / 20: Setup

10 gal -> 30 / 15 / 20 20 gal -> 15 / 20 / 30

I really appreciate any advice you can provide

aka do I eventually order a 15G and 20G (both with SiteGlass) with TriClamp so I can do the Boil in either?
or do I really need a 15 15 setup?

Did see in the other thread:

"If you know your expected efficiency, you can try this. To calculate for mash tun size requirement in quarts (80% efficiency of course), it's (Desired OG x Batch Size)/17 = mash tun size

Let's say you want 1.088 x 15 gallons, it's (88 x 15)/17= 77 quart tun.

If you're going to be doing regular high gravity beers at 15 gallons, go with a 100qt."

Holy long read Batman! I've read this twice and still am not sure what you're asking. It's quite convoluted and I see why Spike told you to just go to BeerSmith.

If you're doing 10gal batches you'll need a 15 or 20gal kettle. If you do large beers get the 20. If you don't get the 15. It's not that complicated. Extra room isn't going to hurt you so I don't know why you're over complicating this.

Go here http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Scroll to can I mash it and figure out the biggest and smallest volume you will try to do.

Find the diameter of your mash tun and use google to get the height of your mash volumes.

Make sure your thermometer port is lower than the lowest height, and that the biggest volume will fit.

(edit) Sigh, shamed by augie.

There is no real issue with the ports being low other than the aesthetics. Since it sounds like you are going gas you don't have to worry about the internal element height. I'd go 20 gallons.

Holy long read Batman! I've read this twice and still am not sure what you're asking. It's quite convoluted and I see why Spike told you to just go to BeerSmith.

If you're doing 10gal batches you'll need a 15 or 20gal kettle. If you do large beers get the 20. If you don't get the 15. It's not that complicated. Extra room isn't going to hurt you so I don't know why you're over complicating this.
You really should try to be less negative and more understanding .. Just when I think I may have gotten carried away an arrogant comment making an ass of myself, I see one of your posts and it makes me feel better... seriously though , Your always making fun and talking down. It does nothing for you here.... People have told me when I do it so im passing on the favor.. :mug:

You really should try to be less negative and more understanding .. Just when I think I may have gotten carried away an arrogant comment making an ass of myself, I see one of your posts and it makes me feel better... seriously though , Your always making fun and talking down. It does nothing for you here.... People have told me when I do it so im passing on the favor.. :mug:

I agree that I am short with people and get annoyed at dumb (in my opinion) questions. However the poster after me re-iterated my point so at least I wasn't the only one. I guess people that beat topics and questions to death is a pet peeve of mine. It happens far too often on here.

Relax. Have a home brew.

I agree that I am short with people and get annoyed at dumb (in my opinion) questions. However the poster after me re-iterated my point so at least I wasn't the only one. I guess people that beat topics and questions to death is a pet peeve of mine. It happens far too often on here.

Relax. Have a home brew.
I could see if someone hijacked your thread or something but The guy didnt start his own thread so you people can make fun of him... Its not like he specifically bothered you to chime in right? I would think you wouldnt get along to well in a room full of engineers if you dont like redundant conversation and beating topics to death but it usually has a positive impact on things.

Besides thats kinda what a forum is... discussion ... Thread after thread repeating the same questions and beating the same topics to death... just saying..

Relax. Have a home brew.

I'm like that too, but I try to take the higher road by not replying. KISS..............

With that said, the thread BeardedBrews linked is a good one. It will give you an idea of how much grain you can mash in your tun. Another thing to think about, if the grain bill happens to be too high for your tun, would be to do a partial mash. It should be no different than doing an extract kit with steeping grains. The thing to remember is if you do a kit or order the grains to do a 10, 15, 20 gallon batch, etc, it's probably a good idea to have the vendor to bag the grains separately. That way you can put all the steeping grains in a muslum bag.

Thank you to those above that are constructive in their comments

Just wanted some feedback before I end up with a 20 Gallon Mash Tun
I can't use for a 6 gallon 1.040 batch

The Spread Sheet I listed was the best resource.

I created a matrix for 10/15/20

At 1.75 / 80% effic

Tun Size
10G /15G /20G

Max Grain (80% full)
15.5 lbs / 26 lbs / 35 lbs

6Gal
1.089 / 1.152 / 1.200

12Gal
1.044 / 1.067 / 1.090

For Minimums

8.5 LBS of Grain = 4.40-4.90 Gallons Volume (1.040)

Means that with Spike's Site Glass Kettle with the temp gauge at 4" gives:

Tun Size
10G /15G /20G

Top Gage at marker
2.5 Gal / 3.75 Gal / 4.5 Gal

So any Batch at 1.040 would get past 15G but just hit 20G's Temp Gage Port

Conclusion

HLT / MLT / BOIL

15 / 15 / 20 : This would be the best 3 pot configuration choice to begin with

This is also a Blichmann Engineering Recommended setup for RIMMS
(Spike's Temp Gage is just much lower than the Boilermakers, and Spike's prices are better)

After the 15G MLT
My next purchase will be a Spike 20 that can Act as a Boil and a MLT Kettle (with the addition of a False Bottom)

(the next Step is 20/20/30 if I went with the 20Gal MLT and it seems to commit me to 2x 6 gallon batches vs 1x 6 gallons for my specialty brews)

Go here http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Scroll to can I mash it and figure out the biggest and smallest volume you will try to do.

Find the diameter of your mash tun and use google to get the height of your mash volumes.

Make sure your thermometer port is lower than the lowest height, and that the biggest volume will fit.

(edit) Sigh, shamed by augie.

There is no real issue with the ports being low other than the aesthetics. Since it sounds like you are going gas you don't have to worry about the internal element height. I'd go 20 gallons.

Thanks BeardedBrews,

Funny I did exactly what you suggested on my own. Ill scan it and post a jpg/pdf

In JPG form (Labels) / Comparing: Spike, Blichmann, & NB MegaPot

W- Width
H - Height
BC -Bottom Coupler
TC - Temp Coupler
BC Gallons to hit
TC Gallons to hit

MLT-Calcs-Future-System.jpg

Back