Mash Tun Filter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dealio

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew day about two weeks ago and I had some trouble with the filter I constructed in my mash tun.

I took the metal braiding from a water line, laid it out in a circle and connected both ends to my bulkhead with compression fittings. It looked great and appeared sturdy enough before I brewed but when I was adding my strike water and slowly stirring the grain to get a uniform temperature distribution something terrible happened. The spoon stirred the grain and water which stirred the metal braiding, and it wrapped itself around the spoon. By the time i realized this it was to late and I had to leave the spoon in for the mash. It got clogged during the strike and it took forever but as far as I can tell the beer was unaffected, so that's good.

Does anyone have a similar experience using the filter setup I used and what can I do to avoid this?

Or

What filter type do you guys recommended for batch sparging in a cylindrical mash tun?

I agree with mbird. I have 2 setups like that and have never had any problems. Mine both go to a 1/4 SS ball valve. Works great.

I did my first all grain brew day about two weeks ago and I had some trouble with the filter I constructed in my mash tun.

I took the metal braiding from a water line, laid it out in a circle and connected both ends to my bulkhead with compression fittings. It looked great and appeared sturdy enough before I brewed but when I was adding my strike water and slowly stirring the grain to get a uniform temperature distribution something terrible happened. The spoon stirred the grain and water which stirred the metal braiding, and it wrapped itself around the spoon. By the time i realized this it was to late and I had to leave the spoon in for the mash. It got clogged during the strike and it took forever but as far as I can tell the beer was unaffected, so that's good.

Does anyone have a similar experience using the filter setup I used and what can I do to avoid this?

Or

What filter type do you guys recommended for batch sparging in a cylindrical mash tun?

I had the exact same problem. I traced it back to two things. One was the spoon and the other was I had some twisting in the braid when I tightened the braid to the manifold. Not much you can do about the stirring other than to be careful. The twisting I found was eliminated by leaving the ends loose until I had the braid in place and attached to the manifold and then I tightened them down using hose clamps. I also took a piece of flexible 3/8" copper tubing and placed it in the braid and this eliminated all of my problems. This worked fine until my bulkhead began leaking and then I just went to a rectangular cooler with a CPVC manifold.

Back