mash tun dead space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I calculated this correctly. I have a standard converted cooler mash tun. What I did was put the mash tun on my level counter opened the spigot filled it with water until water same out of the spigot then stopped. when the water stopped coming out I measured what was left in the cooler and it turned out to be about a gallon of water.

I have a Couple questions. Did I do this right? Is that a abnormal amount of dead space for a cooler mashtun? Do i check the box in beersmith to adjust for this dead space?

This is a good question. I did something similar with a 15G SS "economy pot" from Norther Brewer with a SS false bottom - I have 2 Gals! Over the last year I have compensated by increasing my mash water by the 2 Gals, but it's thrown off my calculations more than once and I have been wondering what the effect in Grist to water ratio and efficiency...

I am excited to see that there is field in BeerSmith 2 for this but not sure what the impact will be until I brew next using the new calculation.

That would accurately figure out the deadspace volume. Then you would need to account for how much space the grain takes up.

What kind of filter/manifold do you have?

You need a dip tube or manifold that curves down and nearly touches the bottom. I has a stainless steel hose but now have a CPVC manifold. With a hose attached to the outside, a siphon gets created that draws up just about everything. Now, I leave about two cups behind.

If you only open the valve and there is no siphon, the drain stops when the water level hits the spout level.

This is a good question. I did something similar with a 15G SS "economy pot" from Norther Brewer with a SS false bottom - I have 2 Gals! Over the last year I have compensated by increasing my mash water by the 2 Gals, but it's thrown off my calculations more than once and I have been wondering what the effect in Grist to water ratio and efficiency...

I am excited to see that there is field in BeerSmith 2 for this but not sure what the impact will be until I brew next using the new calculation.

You could run a diptube to pull from as close to the bottom of the kettle as possible so you don't waste so much wort.

That would accurately figure out the deadspace volume. Then you would need to account for how much space the grain takes up.

Not following you on how much space the grain who take up. Whats the have to do with the initial question? Just wondering, I'm doing the same setup right now.

A gallon is a lot of deadspace, and will hurt your efficiency. With my old cooler MLT I tipped it to reduce the deadspace from ~0.8 gal to just over a cup. I'd suggest trying that or making a diptube as suggested above.

So tilting is acceptable and will work?

Absolutely. Tilt every time you're draining the tun. I used to have a scrap of 4x4 I put under the back of my cooler MLT that would keep it tilted so I didn't have to hold it.

Back