Mash Tun Cooler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BearHillEast

Reaction score
Will a false bottom for an Igloo cooler fit the Rubbermaid ones?

There's a very cool drop-in replacement one on Amazon that I like but it is advertised as fitting an Igloo cooler with no mention as to whether it does or does not fit a Rubbermaid.

GoeHaarden

The best advice is unsolicited
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You could always measure the bottom diameter of your Rubbermaid cooler and answer your own question!? :mug:

Either way it's amazon...return it if not.

OP
B

BearHillEast

Reaction score
You could always measure the bottom diameter of your Rubbermaid cooler and answer your own question!? :mug:

Either way it's amazon...return it if not.
Not everything in Amazon has free shipping so inherently this question is worth about $20 to me. And $20 can buy ALOT of hops!

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you planing to fly sparge or batch sparge. If batch sparging there are a lot of options. I went with a water heater hose braid. About $12 and never a stuck sparge.

OP
B

BearHillEast

Reaction score
You're obviously in cahoots with a Chiropractor and his agenda to put his kid through an Ivy League school AND buy a yacht.

We'll leave it at a firm "no" and never talk of it again.

Are you planing to fly sparge or batch sparge. If batch sparging there are a lot of options. I went with a water heater hose braid. About $12 and never a stuck sparge.
I don't sparge. Since 95% of my mashing is done overnight I find it unnecessary.

I have the water heater hose braid now. I keep looking at the fittings and how they're discoloring and really would prefer the move to something stainless steel.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You're obviously in cahoots with a Chiropractor and his agenda to put his kid through an Ivy League school AND buy a yacht.

We'll leave it at a firm "no" and never talk of it again.

I don't sparge. Since 95% of my mashing is done overnight I find it unnecessary.

I have the water heater hose braid now. I keep looking at the fittings and how they're discoloring and really would prefer the move to something stainless steel.
A water heater braid IS stainless steel.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Agree with skipping the false bottom and using a bag in the cooler. You can also use the stainless braid with the bag if you want to, I just have a 90 degree elbow pointed down and it works fine. Its pretty simple and cheap.
The advantage to using the bag is if you get a slow moving or stuck mash, just pull up on the bag a little and the wort gets flowing. Its also easier for me to clean the grain out. I do have a false bottom in my keggle mash tun that I use for big brews, but I'll probably get a bag to fit that someday.