Mash Tun Cooler New Zealand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NellyChord

Reaction score
Hi guys first post here! I've just moved to New Zealand. Been looking around at options to brew on a small scale and came across this cooler on Kmart: https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/15l-cooler-drink-jug-42807452/ which is similar to the heavily used Home Depot coolers which people convert to a mash tun. I was just wondering whether anyone in NZ has used one of these and whether they would work with the ball valve which is commonly used with the Home Depot ones. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Welcome to HBT!

What size batches are you going to brew?
15 liter would be too small for mashing 19 liter batches.

Welcome to HBT!

What size batches are you going to brew?
15 liter would be too small for mashing 19 liter batches.
I'm going to be doing very small scale 5-7 litre batches at a time, mainly for cost reasons so size wise should be fine, its just whether its fit for purpose before buying. Cheers

should work, just need a bulkhead, and ball valve? and your choice SS screen or tubing for a filter? i'd think that'd be good enough...

You could do BIAB and not deal with a screen on the mash tun, or just put it directly in the boil kettle and eliminate the mash tun all together.

Back