Mash tonight, boil tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allsup

Reaction score
I'm mashing tonight (now) and plan on boiling tomorrow. I plan on refrigerating the wort overnight in my bottling bucket.

I this a bad idea? What kind of problems may arise?
Thanks Paul

If you cool it fast enough, it might be ok. If you leave the temps up near 110-120f you would be risking a sour mash. All grain has lactic bacteria (and other bugs) on it and that is going into your wort. Normally this isn't a big issue since you boil almost immediately and kill all those off. If you leave the wort without boiling for a period, the lactic bacteria start munching on the sugars and making lactic acid, giving your wort a sourness.

I've done a 24 hour sour mash, and the result was somewhat tart. For less than 12 hours, I'd guess you'd probably not notice much sourness at all. Lower temps will also help retard the lactic production.

Terje

I think it would cause no problems doing that, since extracts basically do the same but in a condensed form.

I'm mashing tonight (now) and plan on boiling tomorrow. I plan on refrigerating the wort overnight in my bottling bucket.

I this a bad idea? What kind of problems may arise?
Thanks Paul

You'd be better boiling for 10 min then throwing in the fridge.

I've done this before, and never had a problem. There's actually a bunch of info on it on HBT. I've mashed, and sparged at night and boiled the next day. Some people actually leave their mash overnight and sparge the next day and have had good results. Go for it, it's a good way to utilize your time better. I used to do it because I have young kids and would mash when they were in bed and boil before they got up. I just left it out, uncovered on my stove overnight, no fridge, and everything was fine.

I've dne it a couple times - once when I just ran of time.How cold is it in OK? If you have a safe palce outside - set it there. It has worked for me on three batches.

Save some fridge space. Leave it out and go to bed. I mash in the night before and sparge in the morning. The mash drops about 50 degrees but from my research the enzymes that work in the lower temps. are denatured and do not go back into action when the temp drops. The mash may sour slightly but have never noticed an adverse impact on the beer.

She's brewed up.
It got down to 40 last night so I let the bucket sit out over night on the deck. My hydrometer sample wasn't sour so well see in a month or so how it turns out.

I almost always mash overnight many times reaching 12 hours. I like the idea of splitting my brew day. My mash temps in a coleman 48qt drops only 20F over 12 hours. I have not had issues with sourness.

I just did this. I left my mash for 24 hours before I sparged and boiled. The result, a sour beer. Drinkable, but sour. Lesson learned. I personally won't do that again.

Does anyone know if the sourness will dissipate with time?

I just did this. I left my mash for 24 hours before I sparged and boiled. The result, a sour beer. Drinkable, but sour. Lesson learned. I personally won't do that again.

Does anyone know if the sourness will dissipate with time?

I don't think it will. What yeast and hops did you use?

I don't think it will either. I used wlp 051 calif V ale yeast. Hops were summit, warrior and uk holdings. (1 oz of each)

I think I'm going to drink most of it and save a couple bombers as an experiment.

No the sourness won't go away, you in essence infected your wort with the naturally occurring lacto that is on the grain....Like in the discussions I referenced below, that probably none of you looked at, Of biggest importance to doing this is keeping the mash temp ABOVE the temps which lacto forms.

But this is one of the ways folks who are attempting to clone guinness go about getting that characteristic sourness, they reserve some wort overnight and let is sour, then add it back into the boil.

Back