Mash tonight, boil tomorrow: results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on mashing and sparging tonight and boiling tomorrow to make the best use of my time. I know it can and has been done.

I'm wondering, those of you who have done it or others who might have an opinion, the results of such. Good, bad, indifferent?

I believe it was Biermuncher who said that he does this all the time. As long as it is in a sanitized enviroment the entire time, you should be good.

I believe it was Biermuncher who said that he does this all the time. As long as it is in a sanitized enviroment the entire time, you should be good.

It occurs to me that it wouldn't much matter if it was a sanitised environment, as you are going to boil it for 60mins (or longer) on day 2. I think it'd still be good to keep it sanitized, just sayin'

Good point - if there are wild yeasts out and about it could start fermenting, which could give you some interesting/horrific results.

Ed,

Is this the maiden AG voyage or have I gone and missed it??

I've done this once or twice in the past out of necessity without incident; it is possible that Lactobacillus could sneak in and begin souring the wort (boiling will kill the organism but the lactic tang will remain) but I've yet to experience it. Minimize the total amount of time the collected wort sits in your sanitized and covered BK and you should have no issues.

Jason

Ed,

Is this the maiden AG voyage or have I gone and missed it??

I've done this once or twice in the past out of necessity without incident; it is possible that Lactobacillus could sneak in and begin souring the wort (boiling will kill the organism but the lactic tang will remain) but I've yet to experience it. Minimize the total amount of time the collected wort sits and you should have no issues.

Jason
You missed it, Jason. But this is AG No. 2.

I'm thinking I'll be done the mash and sparge by 10-11 pm. Should have the flame up and going around 8:15 tomorrow. Too much time?

You missed it, Jason. But this is AG No. 2.

Well, dammit to hell. :D

I'm thinking I'll be done the mash and sparge by 10-11 pm. Should have the flame up and going around 8:15 tomorrow. Too much time?
The last time I was forced to do this (blasted propane tank!), I did that. Ain't no lacto in that batch of MBM! :rockin:

Never done it myself...but if I were to do it, I think i would overnight in the mash tun to maintain temp. Or if I were to sparge into the kettle, I would heat the wort while sparging say up to 200 before flaming out for the night. This might help to either keep you out of "lacto" range, or kill the lacto prior to going to bed for the night.

Another idea is add some boiling water to the mash tun as a mash out prior to retiring for the night.

OK, wilser has me freaked out a bit.

Sorry man, by all means go for it...worst case you'll get a little lacto tang sour mash effect...might be tasty??

When most people talk about this, it is usually an overnight mash, hopefully kept hot enough to keep the bugs at bay. If you sparge that night, I would just have the heat on the kettle during the sparge and maybe 20 - 30 minutes after to sanitize the wort post sparge.

Not really ure, but I think you want to stay out of the 110 -130 temp range pre boil, unless of course you have already heated up to 200.

I did this on my first AG. Had friends over and got a late start. Just lautered into the kettle and put a lid on it. Of course it was winterish out and the kettle was cold by morning, but it turned out ok.

Theoretically, you could have some nasty stuff from the grain itself, or dust from the crushed grain, which could potentially infect the kettle. I just don't think that you'd have enough time between mash and boil to worry about it. They would hardly have any decent number to make a noticeable difference.

Some one had suggested that if you do this, then maybe go ahead and put the flame on, and boil for 10 minutes while you clean up the MLT. If you can safely step away from the kettle, that is.

I did this before and it turned out fine. A little thin maybe but that wasn't necessarily from the overnight wait. I would do a mashout though. I kept my wort in sanitized buckets with lids on. I mashed one night after work, then boiled the next day after work. So nearly 24 hours between.
good luck. Whats your recipe?

Happy to report no ill effects, even without a mash out or hitting a boil for a few minutes. No tang in the wort. The wort was still warm this morning, too warm, in fact, to touch the sanitized kettle for any longer than a few seconds.

It was the AHS Session Series ESB and I hit all my numbers perfectly based on 67 percent efficiency. That said, I'll only do this mash at night, boil in the morning thing when necessary.

Never done it myself...but if I were to do it, I think i would overnight in the mash tun to maintain temp. Or if I were to sparge into the kettle, I would heat the wort while sparging say up to 200 before flaming out for the night.

This is exactly what I do every time. I sparge and heat to around 200, then wrap it in blankets overnight. By morning it's around 185, which makes for no tang problems and a short time to boil. Has always turned out delicious, with no difference at all to a traditional brew session. Sometimes I get up around 5a.m. and can get done between 7 and 8a.m. and then spend plenty of time with the family. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.:D

It occurs to me that it wouldn't much matter if it was a sanitised environment, as you are going to boil it for 60mins (or longer) on day 2. I think it'd still be good to keep it sanitized, just sayin'

well it could sour overnight if not sanitary. wild yeast could also cause some issues and start fermenting it. that cannot be boiled out.

Back