Mash to Boil Lead Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheShu1097

Reaction score
This is my fourth batch, and my other three have turned out well.

This is a partial mash extract kit. I had a small problem during this batch. My wife doesn't like the smell of hops in the house so I tried to boil out side on our grill burner. It took a long time for the wort to boil from the time I mashed the grains to bringing it to a boil. I would say about 45 minutes. Then after adding the extract it took it a good 30 or so minutes to return to a rolling boil before adding the hops. My question is: will this create off flavoring of the beer? Also what is a good lead time to have between the mash and boil?

This recipe called for 45 minute mash, and 60 minute boil. The total brew time from mash start to pitching the yeast was about 4 hours, longest it has taken me before. Your comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think that the total time is all that far out of line, as I have seen many experienced brewers say that a full brew day including cleanup is 5 hours for them. Me, I take about 7 or 8 hours. :(

On speeding up your boil, could you possibly straddle two burners with the pot? That will speed things up considerably. Do you have a turkey fryer? The burner from one of these will REALLY speed things up. Have you ever wanted a turkey fryer? Turkey fryers make great Mother's Day gifts, ya know.

Thanks for the reply!

I can't straddle two burners, because I only have one burner on my grill. I thought it would be faster because of the flame and propane, but not so. Good news is my fermenter is already got airlock activity this morning. (ended @ 8:30 pm) This is the earliest I have ever had airlock activity. I was more concerned on the amount of time it spent on the burner and heat without boiling because I know the boil time has significance on color and flavoring. If this is no concern then I guess I will just eat the time until I get a different burner.

Yes I have thought of getting a turkey frier, yes I want a turkey frier, but it has been a tug war over wants versus needs things. Now I guess I have a NEED! :)

And the pots make good brewpots, so if you are thinking that you need a bigger pot, or if you want another big pot, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Back