Mash Temperature with Thermapen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Last we brewed a few weeks ago we used a thermapen to check the mash and we kept getting different readings in different parts of the mash tun. We use a converted keg (keggle) for our mash tun. Readings were up to 8 degrees off in spots even after stirring really well and letting it sit for a bit.

We also have a blichman probe thermometer in the side of the keggle and of course that was reading different from the thermapen.

Wondering if others have noticed temperature variances in the mash and is the best thing to do just take the average of the different temps and try to dial it in to 152 that way?

Thanks

If my mash is stirred very well, the temperature variance with my thermapen is less than 1 degree (usually less than .5 degree). Either something is wrong with the thermometer, or the sides are too hot or too cool and changing the temperature of the mash right at the sides.

I preheat my keg MLT with the strike water hotter than I want, and let it cool down to the proper strike temperature and that seems to hold in the temperature better.

I preheat my keg MLT with the strike water hotter than I want, and let it cool down to the proper strike temperature and that seems to hold in the temperature better.

Thats what we did also

I use a thermapen and my mash temps are very consistent throughout the whole mash. Usually less than a degree, especially after sitting for a few minutes.

But I use an igloo cooler for a mash tun. Where were your cold spots? Random or near the edges?

I will have to take notice next time. Thats a good point about the edges. I recall when we were preheating the tun with water it got a little too hot so we sprayed the outside of the keg with water to bring the temp down. Probably the culprit but I will certainly take notice next time.

Back