Mash temperature and results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I've had a couple batches that fermented well but stopped around 1.020. 2 with liquid yeast and one with dry yeast. They started with a fairly high OG of 1.050 - 1.070. They turned out tasting ok though.

The latest is a brown ale that started at 1.061 and I used 1098 yeast with a starter (shaken for 24 hours). At 7 days 1.023. At 14 days 1.022 (tastes and looks good). The higher FG might even lend itself to a better mouthfeel. Kept at 66-68 the entire 14 days.

My question.... Could it be a higher mash temperature say in the 158 range would make it have a maltier taste but not ferment as well?

At first I thought it was a liquid yeast thing but am now leaning toward a higher mash temp being the culprit.

I've had a couple batches that fermented well but stopped around 1.020. 2 with liquid yeast and one with dry yeast. They started with a fairly high OG of 1.050 - 1.070. They turned out tasting ok though.

The latest is a brown ale that started at 1.061 and I used 1098 yeast with a starter (shaken for 24 hours). At 7 days 1.023. At 14 days 1.022 (tastes and looks good). The higher FG might even lend itself to a better mouthfeel. Kept at 66-68 the entire 14 days.

My question.... Could it be a higher mash temperature say in the 158 range would make it have a maltier taste but not ferment as well?

At first I thought it was a liquid yeast thing but am now leaning toward a higher mash temp being the culprit.

A higher mash temp will give you a sweeter flavor. I usually pitch 2 packets of dry yeast for anything above 1.050 and ALWAYS make a starter when using liquid yeast.

Definitely your mash temp. I usually brew at a lower mash temp if i want my FG to be lower. Up to 156-158 if i want it to be up where you are right now. It will directly affect it. and can make it easy to make sweet or dry stouts etc.

1. 158 will definitely result in a less-attenuative wort
2. Brew it again and mash at 154ish and see if you like it. I have been mashing at about 152 for a lot of my beers lately and have been getting about 81% attenuation. Good for some beers (IPAs, etc) that I want to be drier, but for things like browns, porters, etc, I am going to start mashing higher (154ish) to get hopefully get about 75% AA.

Back