Mash temperature and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday and did not hit my usual efficiency. I used 7lbs of wheat malt and 5 lbs of 2row. I noticed during the boil that my thermometer was way off... I know that varying mash temps affect the types of sugars created, but do they affect the amount as well?

You are likely getting a lower efficiency than normal due to the Wheat malt you are using. This is the same for me. Whenever I make my hefs (7lbs wheat, 4lbs 2-row), my efficiency goes down as well.

Wheat malt is a little bit smaller than the 2-row and will likely not crush as finely as the 2-row. A couple of professional brewers I know crush the wheat malt separately (and more finely). This way they increase the efficiency without affecting the crush of the 2-row.

However, if you do this, you will likely have a different beer. I always just allow for the lower efficiency and purchase more grains to accommodate for the lower volume output.

I've heard differing opinions on doing a separate rest on the wheat at lower temps, then doughing in with the rest of the mash water and barley. Anyone do this?

Haputanlas' suggestion is what I would've said as well. Actually, the reason I bought a grain mill was due to very low effeciency with my first AG hefeweizen that I had NorthernBrewer crush for me. I literally had 56% efficiency. Since getting my own Barley Crusher mill my hefe's and my other beers are all 79% efficiency.

Rev.

Yea the wheat did cross my mind as the source of the problem I got 65% efficiency when I usually get 77-80. It does worry me that my thermometer may have been somewhere around 13-20 degrees off as well, I guess I'll see when the beer is done fermenting!

Back