Mash temp to high or stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
So I brewed this beer last Friday and I'm a little scared that I mashed to high. I was trying to get to the mash temp of 157 and ended up right at 160 for a little while. Probably 5 minutes total. I was trying to stir as much as I could to bring down temp but it just wasn't dropping fast enough so I dropped in some cold water to get it to about where I need. By the end of my 60Min mash temps had dropped another 3 or 4 degrees ending at around 154. So I coutinued as usual and didnt think much of it. I finshed everything then pitched my yeast I used S-04. Three days later all fermentation has stoped and was at a gravity of 1.030. Thinking it was a stuck fermenation I tryed to rouse the yeast and raise temps to about 70 was at the low 60's. Three days later still no signs or fermentation and gravity is still at 1.030. Could this be a product of the high mash temps or should I go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I also heard that adding some suger could get my yeast going again.

O.G. was 1.052 now at 1.030 and heres the recipe also if needed.

4lbs Pilner 2row
2.5lbs Munich Malt 20L
2lbs Vienna Malt
1lb Aromatic Malt
1lb crystal 40L
.5lb Cara-pils

1oz Tettnang @60min
.5oz Tettnang @45min
.5oz Tettnang @30min

S-04 yeast at low 60's

This is the Oktoberfast recipe

Back