Mash temp for simcoe IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I am in the middle of mashing my simcoe IPA. Started mash at 151, went to stir at 30 minute mark, and I'm at 149 now. Is this ok. I'd imagine it is going to drop a little lower by 60 minute mark...

Well, mash ended at around 147 degrees. I'm not sure what happened this time. I usually only lose a degree or two. How is this going to affect the beer? Is it going to be ok?

Yeah, it will be great. I try to mash between 150-155.

You might want to find out why your mash temps dipped so low. Did you preheat your cooler with hot water? Is there a leak in your cooler? I noticed recently that there was a slit near the handle and I was loosing a lot of heat from there. I have recently blocked it with a wet paper towel.

Well, just finished everything up. Hit my gravity and everything turned out good. It will probably be drier then expected, but for an IPA this will probably be ok. I'm excited about it!

Simcoe IPA - all grain
5/4/2013

10 lbs golden promise barley
16 oz crystal 50/60*L
8 oz carapils
8 oz Munich 10*L
4 oz simcoe
1 packet s05 yeast 11.5 g

IBUs = 68
OG = 1.060, FG = 1.014
AL % = 6.3%

What are you using for a mash tun? I use the good ol fashioned 10 gallon home depot cooler and I literally never have a temp loss.

Back