Mash Techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've done two AG batches so far, and I think they will turn out good, but I just can't help but think that I am missing something about the mash procedure. I realize there is more than one way to do it, and I'm not talking about Decoction/Batch/Fly. I mean, I would like to see exactly what people do when they mash!

I've heard about pouring on top of something to not disturb the grain bed.

There are different temps for different water additions.

If batch sparging, do you worry about flow rate?

I feel like I know what's going on, then I go to do it and I worry if it's right!

Anyone got a video of the process, or some good pics that show exactly the procedure?

There are a bunch of vids on youtube to deomonstrate. As Far as batch sparging You dont worry about the flow rate you just dump the water in and stir it up. I usually use two batch sparges at 185 degrees to get the grain bet warmer. when I vourlof I pour gentley on top of a margerine lid so I dont disturb the grain bed.

*Water additions for striking very.. For a big body beer it will be hotter as well as the mash for medium body slightly less and mashing between 152 and 155 and for your light beers mashing between 145 and 149 at a long rate 75-80 mins

how far is reed city from jenison/grand rapids? fsr402 has a full barrel batch going tomorrow.BrewSpace - View Michigan Mashers's Messages

It's about 1.5 hours roughly. Not too far, but I just told a friend that I was staying home this weekend and he may be coming up to swap a new server and I think my wife expects me to do somethings around the house that need to get done. If I did any brewing thing that involves any serious time I will be in trouble. She has been very lenient about my brewing time so far (I went to a beer tasting on wed.)

I seriously need to get working on the stairs in the garage and trim in the house and the yard is about ready to be cleaned up for spring. Plus, it's the kids' spring break.

Man, that would be fun to go to though! :(

I just get the strike watter in the ton at the right temp and dump in the grain, stir it well and close it up when the temp is correct. I stir it from time to time to even out the temp throughout the ton and check the temp (if it's low I'll pull a small decotion) then add the boiling hot mash out watter. Drain. Add sparge watter. Drain. Boil. Simple and if you keep the HLT ready it takes very little time.

It's about 1.5 hours roughly. Not too far, but I just told a friend that I was staying home this weekend and he may be coming up to swap a new server and I think my wife expects me to do somethings around the house that need to get done. If I did any brewing thing that involves any serious time I will be in trouble. She has been very lenient about my brewing time so far (I went to a beer tasting on wed.)

I seriously need to get working on the stairs in the garage and trim in the house and the yard is about ready to be cleaned up for spring. Plus, it's the kids' spring break.

Man, that would be fun to go to though! :(

Ya know what? I just had a heart attack about a month ago. Do what you WANT to do, not what you NEED to do. It puts your view on life in a whole new perspective...and I'm only 57.

Ya know what? I just had a heart attack about a month ago. Do what you WANT to do, not what you NEED to do. It puts your view on life in a whole new perspective...and I'm only 57.

I know where you are coming from. I get to do plenty of what I want to do. Sometimes you gotta do what's right too.

My dad passed a way a few years ago from a sudden heart attack. He was only 58. That is one reason I often pass up on doing stuff around the house and choose to do fun things instead.

But I got more than 1 hobby, and although this is currently 1st place, soon I will have a Mustang in my garage and I really need to get the stairs put in so I can put stuff upstairs and make room. Cold spell may be breaking today and I'm pondering a trip downstate to see my FIL and my Mustang.

Back