Mash Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huknbuk

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a goofy question. Is there a strong smell created during the mash/sparge processes. I'm moving from extract to AG brewing. My wife didn't like the smell from the boil filling up the house with it's goodness. I used this as an opporunity to get a burner, which led to a bigger kettle, which led to the parts for a MLT. I live in Wisconsin and it's pretty cold here, so I was looking to mash/sparge indoors and boil outside. I could see a problem arise if I create a strong smell indoors after getting all of the additional equipment. I know there won't be any hops involved, so that probably helps, but I've never done it before and was curious.

I just started doing grains and I mashed in the kitchen and the smell was very little...granted I was only mashing 6.25#s but the smell was not like when you boil w/hops! SWMBO also does not like the smell...which allowed me to get more gear and bigger stuff:tank:

Funny thing, she still says the smell gets in the house...I can't win!

Most SWMBOs don't mind the smell if it builds up slowly. It's when they walk in from outside and they get the full whiff all at once they tend to complain. I suggest that before you start the mash, you superglue SWMBO to the kitchen sink area. She won't notice the slow build up of smelly goodness, and she will also be in a handy place to clean up after you.

To answer you question, it doesn't smell any more than extract IMO.....Just better :)

There is a strong smell associated with mashing, but no more so than boiling in my opinion. I think it smells good, but SWMBO said it smells like Alpo dog food.

I don't think fresh mash smells all that bad but a couple times I left the spent grain in the cooler with the lid on overnight and the next day when I went to toss it into the garden the smell almost makes me throw up. It's nasty after "stewing" at low heat all night.

My SWMBO also has commented on this, but she says it smells like the Sierra Nevada Brewery. To which I say "THANKS BABE!" :D

EEEEEAAAAGGGHhhhhh!!! What's wrong with these women. I find the smell itself is intoxicating and alluring. My husband actually uses my love for that mashing/boiling grain aroma. When we're traveling, he puts me out of the car, I take a big sniff of the local air and then lead him to a brew pub or we book it out a there and head for the next town!

The mash and the boil smell different. I think the mash smells something like hot oatmeal and the boil smells like hops. When I brew SWMBO complains about the boil, but she thinks the mash smells good. That being said, this is great time to push for more equipment. For her comfort.

My oldest kid thinks it smells like hot Grape Nuts cereal, and he likes it. SWMBO and the other kids don't care for it so much, but they don't really complain.

I think the boil is a much stronger smell than the mash...my SWMBO has stopped complaining since I went to AG and boil outside. If she could stand that-mash should be no prob.

the mash smells amazing I have never had anyone comment that a mash smells like anything other than the bast damn breakfast cereal theyve ever had. the boil on the other hand even before hops are added smells a little strange, I think some of the protein/amino stuff breaks down (like DMS) and boils off giving it a funky smell.

Hm, I always figured the boil smells funky because it's mixed with propane or natural gas exhaust.

My oldest kid thinks it smells like hot Grape Nuts cereal, and he likes it. SWMBO and the other kids don't care for it so much, but they don't really complain.
This is what I think of, too. It smells, but it's not an unpleasant odor. I rather like it.

I think the mash has a pleasant, low-key grainy smell.

This thread is a great reminder of the wonders of brewing outdoors. Brewing on the patio has really made brewing easier for me. No SWMBO-offending smells, waterhose cleanup...

Alice, if you say my mash smells one more time....bang, zoom, yer gonna get nailed right to the sink! Maybe even further!

Well, I finally got around to my first AG batch and it is mashing. You guys are right, that smells delicious!

Back