mash profile on beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNOTSANE

Reaction score
When I mash, I batch sparge. I add my strike water,mash for an hour then mash out and collect my first runnings then the sparge water to collect my second runnings. Which of the mash profiles on beersmith should I be using? The wording is weird and I may be using the wrong profile.

The Batch Sparge profiles are all single infusion profiles that have Batch Sparge in the profile name. It is assumed that you are not doing a mash out. The Body is an indication of the mash temperature. You might find it helpful to go to Mash profiles, and highlight a profile. The profile description will appear in the screen below in the preview screen. I hope that this helps. Mark

:mug:

I'm a new BeerSmith user and have been wondering the same thing. I want to set up the system for a 1 hour mash, collect 1st runnings, single batch sparge (with correct infusion temperature), collect 2nd runnings, done.

This seems so simple, but I can't figure out how to get it set up correctly. Anyone else follow this same process and have success setting up BeerSmith accurately?

Go to mash profiles on the left side of the main screen. Then select single infusion (light/medium/full) body, batch sparge. From there, if you want to empty your tun before adding the batch sparge, select that check box and you are good to go. The program will give you the correct amounts of water and the temperature based upon your equipment profile.

LucaBrasi said:
By going this route, does BeerSmith provide accurate water temp for the mash out/sparge, understanding the current temp in the tun after the mash?

For Mash out i would set the desired temp to 169 then I would just adjust the qt/lb ratio until I get 209 degree water (boiling) for my addition. It will then give you the water volumes need to get it up to 169 with boiling water.

For Mash out i would set the desired temp to 169 then I would just adjust the qt/lb ratio until I get 209 degree water (boiling) for my addition. It will then give you the water volumes need to get it up to 169 with boiling water.

Ok- I had not thought about going this route (using a fixed water temp and a variable water volume). I had been assuming a fixed water volume after hearing that your mash water and sparge volumes should be as close to equal as possible.

*Edit- After trying to do this, I'm not able to adjust the temperature of the infusion, only the desired temp, volume, water/grain ratio, etc. Is this something that can be changed?

Usually when you change the desired temp and the qt/lb ratio it changes the strike water temp for you. Like I said. I set my rest temp and then play with the ratio until it gives me strike water at boiling temps

Back