Mash PH in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kye77

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'll be brewing a pretty dark stout next week and was thinking about mash Ph. I've used mash 5.2 stabilizer before and it worked with my IPA but am afraid if it will act different with a stout. Im using Poland Spring water. I found their water report and am kinda confused on how to even calculate where my Mash Ph will even fall. I used brewer's friend calculator and it estimated it will be at 4.8. But who knows if that is even correct.
I was thinking about just going with it and testing the ph 10 minutes into the mash. If its low (which I believe it will be) could I use baking soda to raise it even after the mash is 10-15 minutes in? If so, Does any baking soda work?
Thanks!

The picture shows my recipe for a 2.5 gallons batch

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.24.32 PM.jpg

btw the White Wheat is used in the mash. Not sure why it says its in the boil?

I would definitely not use 5.2 stabilizer - It does not work in any way that it says it does. If it happens to work it is purely an accident of the source water and grain bill. This product has been repeatedly shown in testing to NOT do what it says it does, and it adds a pile of minerals that are not necessarily desirable to your beer.

I would just use the poland water and nothing else. No other minerals, no acid addition.

Check the pH.... my guess is you are going to find it in the 5.3 range or so. If you would happen to find it too low (5.1 or 5.2) you could add a bit of baking soda. You can do that to the mash, kettle.... Hell, I have even successfully added it to finished beer in the keg that finished too low on pH.

Do you have a good pH meter??

So ph strips don't work Bc the stout is too dark >_>
Gonna have to buy a proper ph instrument now.

So ph strips don't work Bc the stout is too dark >_>
Gonna have to buy a proper ph instrument now.

If you do get a pH meter..... really need to get a good one. The cheap ones are about as useful as the strips. I have a Milwaukee that I like. There are other good ones out there as well though. It really is nice to have it though... It is great to have confirmation of what you are doing, what your results are, etc.

Check the pH.... my guess is you are going to find it in the 5.3 range or so. If you would happen to find it too low (5.1 or 5.2) you could add a bit of baking soda. You can do that to the mash, kettle.... Hell, I have even successfully added it to finished beer in the keg that finished too low on pH.

Um, how will adding baking soda to the keg correct the mash pH?

The purpose of adding the baking soda is to raise the mash pH if it is too low. Once the mash is over, that point becomes moot.

Um, how will adding baking soda to the keg correct the mash pH?

The purpose of adding the baking soda is to raise the mash pH if it is too low. Once the mash is over, that point becomes moot.

It won't fix mash pH.....

I just meant that I have added it to correct a finished beer pH that was too low. I had a scottish ale that finished (post fermentation) at 4.1.... it was "tart" and not very good. Added 2-3 grams of baking soda to the keg..... pH went up to 4.35 or so.... placed top 3 at NHC regional.

I agree that the number one concern on pH is always in regard to mash. However, sometimes you can have a mash pH that is "fine" as far as conversion, however the pH is not "fine" as far as flavor/taste/perception. In that case, you absolutely can fix it later on.

Back