Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
To the much more experienced and knowledgeable homebrewers out there.

In an attempt to save a bit of time on Saturday brew days, what I've been doing recently is on a Friday night I've been getting up to the stage in the brewing process where I've mashed out (biab), sparged (I know it's not needed for biab however I find I get 5-10% extra efficiency and I can make bigger batches in my 30L kettle) and heated the wort to 80C. I then leave this mash free wort overnight until Saturday and start at the boiling phase.

I haven't yet noticed any problems in the two batches I've done however one was a Belgian so probably wouldn't notice any funk.

Can any of you foresee any problems with with process?

I was previously overnight mashing holding the wort above 60C for the duration however I felt the extra step of removing the grain wasn't taking too much time and would make the Saturday much cleaner. Also I wanted to remove the possibility of souring with lactobacillus.

Thanks

Yeah, I've done it a few times, and also an overnight mash. Then one time I did the mash in the morning and left the kettle on a glass top stove, which helped hold the heat. I went skiing with the plan to finish the boil that night. The wort had a funky smell but I boiled and fermented anyway but it wasn't good and got dumped before packaging. When I did overnight mashes I also used a glass top stove, but didn't have problems, perhaps with an overnight mash and the pot wrapped up it held a higher temp that didn't spoil.

Back