mash-out question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broo_dood

Reaction score
i only have 4 all-grains under my belt and all 4 were precise about. mash-out directions. today i'm brewing this pilsner: BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Down the Pils

and it don't give mash-out directions. could someone PLEASE tell me how?? i have an idea but not confident yet. would appreciate help greatly.

You could download a trial version of beersmith and put the recipe in. It will give all your numbers and measurements.

I'll second wildwest's suggestion on BeerSmith. I am terrible at brewing math so I let BeerSmith give me the step by step numbers and instructions.

Welcome to HBT!

ok. thanks for suggestion. i did download beersmith, which looks like great tool once i learn the curve, and it says 7.04 gal sparge water @ 168 degrees. single infusion, sounds like no mash out needed. but, how can i break sparge water into two so i can batch-sparge?

When you are on the main page of the recipe, click on your mash profile detail button. Adjust the % of mash tun volume down (I use 60% because I have a large cooler) and check the sparge using equal size batch option.

The results will show on the Preview BrewSheet screen.

It isn't critical to mashout for batch spargers. You do want to raise the grain temp into the 160's as it seems to help with efficiency and dilution of the sugars. I would suggest a little higher temp than 170 though, many use 185.

so, if beersmith says i need 14.85 qts to mash 11lbs of grain. and multiplying that by 1.5 p/john palmer, that would mean i need 22.25qts of sparge water!?!? seems like alot of water for 5.5gal. batch. am i lost on something?

Back