Mash out on a sour mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
So I just put the lid on a sour mash I will let sit for 48 hours. So whats done is done. But I am looking to set my mind at ease.
I mashed a berlin weiess at 148 for 45 min and immediately let it cool to 120 to pitch the uncracked grains. I then covered it in plastic wrap. I dont have any co2 so we will see how that goes. I followed the directions I found online to a tee. But like any noobie, I kept scouring the web and saw that someone else did a mash out before they let it cool. The directions I followed said nothing for or against it. They made no mention at all. Is this an assumed step or does it matter?

http://www.allgrains.net/2013/06/berliner-weisse-full-sour-mash.html?m=1

Here is the recipie I followed.

I know I can always count on my fellow hbt peeps for some sound advice. Cheers!!:)

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll end up with a very dry beer since there are still some enzymes active, but that's the worst of it. You denatured anything that would mess with head retention, but left the ones that will make a very fermentable beer.

Back