Mash one day, brew next day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
is this ok to do? i have a crazy schedule and i need to fill a third fermenter this week.
if it is, what would be the proper technique?

mash, cool wort and store in fridge?
mash, store wort at 70 deg f?

?????

any help is appreciated

I think you could get away with that, since you are going to boil the b'jeezes out of it anyway. I'd probably store in the fridge if I had the space, I doubt it would go sour overnight, but you never know.

BTW, I would definately go with a mashout or cool it really quickly because otherwise your mash will continue while it's cooling and you could end up with a super dry beer with a ton of alcohol in it (maybe that's not something you would lose sleep over, I don't know).

i was thinking if i collected the wort, cooled it with my chiller and refrigerated it over night that i would be ok. thanks for the reply.

I've done this before. Collected runnings into sanitized buckets, add lids and sat in the kitchen until the next day. Then boiled. Beer was ok. Seemed thin though. I was very new to brewing and don't know if this was due to the overnight sit, or my brewing in general.

I was researching this last week. My reason was I wanted to brew a double batch, but my 10 gallon brewpot is not big enough. It was suggested that keeping the wort warm would prevent it from souring, but some brewers were not having a problem either chilling it or doing nothing but sealing it and letting it sit until the next day.

So, just because I could, I went with the keep it warm method last night. I have a 3000W HLT that works great, but it’s not enough power to boil. (I use gas for that.) After the last sparge, I emptied the HLT and transferred the wort for the second batch into it and set it to 165 degrees. I boiled the first batch, pitched yeast around midnight and went to bed. Today I drained the HLT into my brewpot and boiled the second batch.

This really doesn’t help you, because it will be a while before the beer ready, but there was no sour smell so I’m optimistic. The extending time in the pasteurization range should keep anything from growing, I just don’t know if it will effect the taste of the final product.

I do this all the time with no issue to my beer. I have completed mashing and sealed up my Keggle and got up early the next morning and finished the day. I have also done the Mash overnight as well. I think the key is not having to much time in between. If I do either of these methods I make sure the Mashing happens late at night and I get up early the next morning to finish.

Cheers!

Back